Monday, August 4, 2008

bran muffins

bran muffins
You may want to half this recipe. It's huge!

2 cups boiling water
5 tsp baking soda
1 cup shortening(I've tried making it with butter and they are just not the same so I've never even gone the route of applesauce for all you really healthy wonderful people...wink, wink...Michelle!)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 quart buttermilk
5 cups flour
1 tsp salt
4 cups All Bran Cereal
2 cups Bran Flakes Cereal

Directions:

Add soda to boiling water and set aside. Whip shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs slowly. Mix well. Add the buttermilk, flour, salt and mix again. Add the soda water very slowly. Gently fold in the cereals.

Muffin mix MUST sit in the refrigerator over night before baking. The next morning just stir the muffin mix around to combine all of the cereal into the batter. Bake at 350 for 23 minutes. Muffin mix will last one week, covered and refrigerated.

I love making the full recipe and having them warm for breakfast for several mornings in a row. They are best smothered in butter. Gosh, we are just the picture of health around here. I also like to mix raspberries in the batter. Just bake them for a couple of minutes longer. Yum!

No comments: