Friday, June 1, 2012

Eliza is EIGHT and GREAT!

Eliza Claire Hall
 The months before her baptism were filled with learning about the ordinance.  She asked every question.  We read every book.  We especially read the Book of Mormon.  With each child, the year prior to their baptism, Todd and I thought that it was really important to go through the entire Book of Mormon with them and then just before their baptism challenge them to pray and ask Heavenly Father if the book was true.  We promised them, just like Moroni, that if they would pray with a sincere heart that they would know the Book of Mormon was true.  One night I encouraged her again to pray and ask.  She very simply said, "But mom, I already know it's true.".  I love her honesty and sensitivity to the spirit.  She is an angel!
I took this picture during the luncheon that we had directly after the baptism.  Can you see the shine?  She was beaming all day.  Everyone commented on her big smile!  

Eliza and her Dad right before the baptism.  Eliza is the luckiest girl in the world to have such a wonderful Dad!
This is some of what I recorded in my journal after her baptism.  I decided to just share these thoughts instead of trying to record them again on here.


Oh, joyful day!  My third daughter was baptized a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  Eliza Claire made a covenant today that she would always remember Jesus Christ and keep His commandments.  She wore a simple and beautiful white dress with patterns of white sequins.  I loved every second of brushing her hair and carefully putting it into two french braids, one down each side of the back of her head.

The spirit beamed from her contenance as she waited all in white to go into the water. Everyone commented on her big smile that spread across her face.   She has been preparing for this day for sometime now.  Learning all she could during scripture study, family home evening, and the times that she and I read a book about baptism before she went to bed.  She knew that when she came out of the water she would be clean and ready to live the covenant that she made.  Her dad performed the baptism with Uncle Brad and Uncle Gary standing near be as the two witnesses.  As soon as she emerged from the water to go to the changing area, I went to meet her to wrap the towel around her.  I hugged her and asked how she felt.  With a sweet smile on her face, she said, "Good".  Oh joy!  The spirit had blessed her with peace.  She quickly changed back to the baptism dressed that made her feel so much like a little princess(though she would never use the word princess).  We rejoined the group of loving people who had come to be with us.  Brother John Hunt who was conducting this part of the baptism then announced that Eliza would now be confirmed a member of the church by her Grandfather Robert Fears.   My heart leaped inside my chest as I looked at her so reverently closing her eyes and bowing her head with these righteous priesthood holders around her.

After the baptism, we returned to the house and many family members and friends joined us for a luncheon.  It was a beautiful sunny day.  Hot but still nice in the shade of the back porch.  We had salads, chips and mango salsa, watermelon, and little homemade sandwich cookies.  Large glass jars were filled with shimmery pastel colored gumballs.  Flowers hung from vases from the chandelier over the table.  

The entire day was wonderful!

 

No comments: