Wednesday, November 19, 2008

canning chicken....

I finally canned chicken this past week and I'm so sold on it! I wasn't going to blog about it but my sister asked me if I would and because I'm such a fan of it now, I couldn't turn her down.

Reasons I think you need to can meat too:
1. It's so easy. Don't be intimidated, it's much easier than you think.
2. You will have chicken ready to put into recipes anytime.
3. It's cost effective. Buy a whole bunch of chicken when it goes on sale and can it all. I bought chicken tenders for only $1.77/pound at Sprouts last week. Each pint jar will hold one pound of chicken. Do the math...$1.77 for a jar of chicken ready to go.
4. You will have a 3 month supply of chicken sitting on your shelf in no time for super yummy dinners!!

The directions I followed came with my All American Pressure Cooker as well as advice from the food storage guru herself, Wendy Dewitt. She has a book out now and her blog is http://www.everythingunderthesunblog.blogspot.com/

And here is my little disclaimer....If you choose to follow my directions, I cannot be held responsible for any damage or accidents that may occur. I highly, highly recommend reading the instructions that come with your pressure cooker. There I said it...my husband{an attorney} would be so happy!

What you will need:
Raw chicken
Salt
Pint jars (one pound of chicken per jar)
All American Pressure Cooker(mine is model #921 and will hold 14 pint jars)

STEP 1: Put your raw chicken and ½ tsp of salt into a clean jar. Stuff it in there pretty tight to make sure you get a full pound in there. Fill jars to ½” from the rim. NO water is added to the chicken. The juices from the chicken will cook out of the chicken during the cooking process and your chicken will be covered with juice. STEP 2: Wipe the rim of the jars. If the rim is not clean it could cause the jars not to seal properly.
STEP 3: Place the clean lids and screw bands on the jar. Do not OVER tighten the screw band.


STEP 4: Fill the pressure cooker with about an inch and a half of water.

STEP 5: Put your jars into the pressure cooker. 7 on the bottom rack and 7 on the top rack. Stagger the jars.
STEP 6: Put the lid on the pressure cooker {without the weight}. Tighten two wing nut bolts down at a time on opposite sides of the pressure cooker.
STEP 7: Turn the heat on high and watch for steam and small drops of water to start coming out of the vent.
STEP 8: After about 7 minutes of steam coming out of the vent, put the weight on the pressure cooker and watch for the pressure gauge to reach 10 pounds. Once it has reached 10 pounds of pressure and the weight is jiggling and sputtering several times a minute then begin timing your chicken for 75 minutes.
STEP 9: Once the 75 minutes is over, turn the heat off and leave your pressure cooker alone. Let it cool!! The pressure will slowly drop to zero. It is VERY important to NOT open the pressure cooker until it is cooled and the pressure has completely dropped. I learned my lesson the hard way on that one!!


{voila, here is the finished pruduct. I never said it was going to be beautiful. It looks like cooked chicken in a bottle!}
STEP 10: Remove the chicken from the pressure cooker and sit it on a towel on the counter. Let it continue to cool and check your seal to make sure the top are all on properly. Then you can rinse the bottles and then they are ready to be stored. I remove the screw bands to wash them and store them so that you don't end up with chicken broth under the band.
I've read that chicken can stay on the shelve for up to 3 years but that for taste and nutritional benefits a shorter shelf life is recommended. I personally won't let my sit for more than a few months. I will use it and replenish it when chicken goes on sale.

19 comments:

Dawn said...

I do love canning chicken. Roast is also a personal favorite - the best tacos!

I like to saute an onion and a little garlic and add it to the chicken when I use it. It makes it taste so yummy!

msfears said...

Sounds pretty good. I may have to try it. Mother instilled a fear in me of pressure cookers. Thanks for being so detailed in your steps.

Abs said...

Hi! This is a great post. I would like to feature it on my food storage blog this Saturday (safelygatheredin.blogspot.com). Would that be alright? You can leave a comment or email me at safelygatheredin @gmail.com

Thanks!

Miralyn said...

Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to do the same. Just need to get over my fear of handling the raw chicken!! ugh!

I bet it taste so yummy though in recipes and what a great food storage item.

Way to go!

Janell said...

Now THAT is some detailed documentation! :) I think that even I (the socially awkward kitchen-eer) might even be able to do that! Thanks for the step-by-step!!!
-jd

eBay said...

I have about 30 pounds of this under Koby's bed, but need to do LOTS more! Thanks for the incentive!

Linda said...

My pressure canner did not have instructions for canning chicken raw. Thank you so much for your very detailed instructions. It was very helpful. One question. My pressure canner and books state to use 10# pressure when canning meat and vegetables. Do you use the 15# because of your altitude?
Thanks again, Linda

Jolene Teeters said...

I am excited to try this. I am wondering, though, if you have canned any 'dark meat'. I have several home-grown chickens in the freezer I'd like to can, but am wondering if it will be a waste. Any thoughts?

Frieda Loves Bread said...

My very first time pressure canning was with chicken. I was amazed at how simple it was! I am writing a post on canning potatoes and I would love to link this post with it....

Unknown said...

You make this look so simple, well sort of simple. It's exciting to know you can provide nourishment for your family even in tough times. Thanks for being so thorough. I never thought of canning meats. You blog here inspires me to do my own canning. I used to watch my mom fix green beans, beets, yellow wax beans, peaches, pickles, carrots, and a family favorite, piccalilli! We were a family of 15, yup that's 13 kids, and it saved my folks a pile of money I'm sure. Now it's my turn.
Deedee

Anonymous said...

Hey there!! I stumbled on to your blog when i was looking for a refresher on canning chicken!! Of course you had to be a "sister" lol. I then started to stalk your profile a little and read your list of 100!! I loved it and thought to myself I should do that. I kept saying me too!! lol Thanks for taking the time to blog about the chicken!! I love canning it and using it! I hope to someday convince my neighbors they have to do this!!

Martha said...

Thank you so much for sharing your info about pressure canning. You took all the fear out of it. It really is easy.

Noodlegirl said...

I am wondering if I can can a lemon chicken or chicken with mushrooms in white wine recipe I found in a pressure cooker cookbook raw and have it turn out. I can't seem to find any canning recipes for chicken other than plain raw or soup.

Anonymous said...

2 things you missed.
1.) Always vent for 10 minutes before putting weight on.
2.) Always heat meat to boiling point for 10 minutes before eating.

Cleo said...

Last year I purchased some cute little canning jars at Savers. I filled them with sewing kits, made a pin cushion on the top, and sold them at the local Farmer's & Crafter's Market -- they were a hit!

Now I am searching for the same jars, and can't find them.

They were short and squat, and had embossed fruit all around it. The cap insert was white and circled with multi-colored fruit.

Jarden/Ball no longer carries them.

Can you help?

dr momi said...

A very well done post!!

Holly said...

I've been canning chicken for about 13 years now and love it! I do about 36 pints at a time, every 3-4 months...or when chicken goes on sale! Instead of salt I had 1/2 tsp of garlic salt and it gives it a really nice flavor. I saw that someone said you should heat the chicken before you eat it, but I don't know why. I use mine straight out of the jar on salads and sandwiches. I also saw that you time it for 75 min. I've always read that that's for quarts and 65 min. for pints. I blog about this every once in awhile and just did one this month.
www.iwishiwereawalton.blogspot.com
Thanks for sharing!
Holly

blueshoes said...

I've tried my luck at canning chicken just lately.

I'm using quart jars (not pints )and 'tattler rings and lids' ( no PBA's ).
It seems I have run a muck somewhere.
I followed instructions exactly and left a 1 inch headspace for quarts.
Processed for 1 1/2 hours.
The juice in some of the quarts boliled out a little on some of them.
It left the chicken not covered with the juices at the top inch or two inches on some of the jars.
With tattler lids you put them on finger tip tight before processing and tighten tightly after they are taken out of the canner.
They all sealed well.
Is the chicken that is not covered with the chicken juice going to be dry?
What can I do differently next time ?

Unknown said...

I frez my meats and in winter months I thaw my chicken or what ever meat I want to can to make room for more meat that gose on sale once u can the food is cooked its done all the vitamins, protein are there. I didn't know once u frez. Food u can can it but u can and it's very safe. Linda's pantry she all so dose this hope this help